Sunday, February 1, 2009

Exploring Anderson County

On January 31, 2009 I made a long day trip from Wichita to explore parts of Anderson County in East Central Kansas.

I entered the county in the southwest near the town of Colony. I drove north crossing several bridges over Cedar Creek, including one concrete arch bridge just east of Mont Ida.

Mont Ida is an unincorporated community southwest of Garnett. I was interested in seeing the Mont Ida Church of the Brethren there. I found an interesting peace pole on the church lot. The Church of the Brethren is one of the historic peace churches and has an active peace agency On Earth Peace.







I continued on north and west and explored Patton Cemetery southwest of the town of Harris. This cemetery is at the end of a dead end road and sets in a beautiful setting up against some hills.




Then on thru Garnett and north into the picturesque Pottawatomie Creek valley. I circled around to northwest of Greeley to view a pony truss bridge and the historic Spencer's Crossing iron truss bridge built in 1885, and left in place when a new concrete bridge was built beside it.


Finally, I explored the town of Greeley before heading back home to Wichita.


Some links:

No comments: