Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Weekend in Wallace and Logan Counties

This past weekend, I spent 2 1/2 days exploring a historic part of northwest Kansas in Wallace and Logan counties.





On Friday, July 10, I left Wichita and arrived in southern Logan County north of Lake Scott State Park. I stopped at the Keystone Gallery near Monument Rocks for a visit. Then I followed a route across the southern part of Logan County past the Little Pyramids, Lone Butte, and the Smoky Hill River valley before arriving at my destination, Sharon Springs, in Wallace County.






On Saturday morning, July 11, I explored the northwest quarter of Wallace County, including a trip up Mt Sunflower, elevation 4039 ft, the highest point in Kansas. I visited Weskan and a few cemeteries in this region.




Saturday afternoon, I met a few Kansas Explorers at the historic Clark-Robidoux House in the town of Wallace, for "The Happening". We had some refreshments and were given a guided tour of this restored Victorian house by the current owners. Then a group of Explorers were treated to a special tour of a significant geologic site in Wallace County called Hell's Half Acre. After saying my goodbyes to the other Explorers, I went out on my own again late Saturday afternoon and explored the southern half of Wallace County.



On Sunday, July 12, I explored the rest of Logan County. I followed a route near US 40 across the northern part of the county and visited the small towns of Winona, Page City, and Monument and each cemetery too. After lunch in Oakley, I headed south to visit the historic town site of Elkader before heading west across the Smoky Hill River valley to Russell Springs. I enjoyed a visit to the Butterfield Trail Museum in Russell Springs and visited the cemetery high on a hill west of town.




Finally I went back to the small town of Wallace for a visit to the Fort Wallace Cemetery with re-created wooden gravestones from the days of the fort and the stone monument there. I then had a fabulous one-on-one guided tour of Fort Wallace Museum by the volunteer, Ernie Poe, before returning to Sharon Springs for the night.



I headed home on Monday, July 13 and had a great lunch at Delgados Mexican Restaurant in Great Bend. Their flour tortilla chips were some of the best I've ever had - so fresh and they melted in your mouth.



Links:






Butterfield Trail Museum in Russell Springs: http://www.kansastravel.org/butterfieldtrailmuseum.htm



Fort Wallace Museum: http://www.ftwallace.com/



My photo galleries:









Kansas Explorer's Club, "The Happening 2009": http://ke2013.smugmug.com/gallery/8879444_ETJEr#588730593_J3448

No comments: