Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Concordia and Eastern Republic County

On Thursday April 30 I left Wichita and headed to north central Kansas for the weekend of the Kansas Sampler Festival, held this year in Concordia.

For lunch, I tried a new restaurant, Heavy's BBQ in Concordia. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were serving Knackie's sauces, made in Inman, one of my favorite brands of sauce. While in Concordia, I also stopped at the Cloud County Museum Annex to check on the progress of the raised relief 'Whole Wall Project", being assembled - it should be finished in a few weeks.

By mid-afternoon, I headed north into Republic County, where I made a loop to visit 3 small towns in the eastern part of this county: Cuba, Narka, and Munden.




In Cuba, I visited the downtown area, bought some canned goods in the Cash Store, then headed out southeast of town to visit the historic National Bohemian Cemetery. I was also fascinated that a city street passed right thru the bottom frame of the city water tower.






Then, I went north to Narka. This town has a very unique water tower which resembles a space ship. While downtown, I also noticed a nicely decorated small park, a multi-colored brick building, and an active COOP elevator.


I then travelled a few miles west and south to Munden. I noticed at least 3 churches around town. Downtown was a nice park, a bank, beauty salon, COOP and some other businesses. I also noticed some unique signs on the downtown poles with art on one side and quotations on the other.




I ended my day by heading back to Belleville for a good fish dinner at the Country Club.

No comments: